Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Backing up with Delicious

Although it's not content in exactly the same way as a wiki or blog, I have two Del.icio.us accounts with thousands of bookmarks in them, so I also back those up once a month. Again, I don't expect anything to have to Del.icio.us in the foreseeable future, but I've invested a lot of time and effort in collecting and tagging online resources, and it's worth a couple of minutes to me each month to back that up to my hard drive!

To do a backup in Delicious, log in to your account, and then go to Settings, and then choose Backup/Export. You will then be given the option to download an HTML file containing all your bookmarks - just click the Export button. The backup file will not reflect your username so if you are backing up multiple Delicious accounts (as I am), you will probably want to rename each backup file to reflect which Delicious account it contains!




Some dynamic content may not display if you are reading this blog via RSS or through an email subscription. You can always visit the How-To Tech Tips blog to see the full content, and to find out how to subscribe to the latest posts.