Monday, August 4, 2008

Firefox AddOn: WordCount Plus

One of the Firefox add-ons which I find myself using frequently is WordCount Plus, which sits down in the status bar of Firefox. It provides a word count of any chunk of text that you select and highlight.

This is something I often need to do in my online classes, where I have both minimum and maximum word counts for the assignments. If it looks like a student has written way too much, or way too little, for a particular assignment (in a blog post, on their webpages), this little Firefox add-on gives me a quick way to check to see if my guesstimate is correct. I also recommend that my students install this same add-on so that they can check their own work in advance - it's definitely better to find the problem and fix it before I discover the problem myself! :-)

For example, while I am typing this blog post, I can highlight what I have typed in the form box and right-mouse click, bringing up the option to do a word count.


The result then shows up in the status bar, next to the little WordCount Plus icon.

You can do a word count like this for text you are typing in a form box, or you can do a word count for content published on a webpage - anything that you can highlight, Word Count can count for you. It's a super little add on, very efficient, easy to use, and unobtrusive.


Some dynamic content may not display if you are reading this blog via RSS or through an email subscription. You can always visit the How-To Tech Tips blog to see the full content, and to find out how to subscribe to the latest posts.